Monday, March 31, 2014

The Truth about Florals


Lilac by Bramble Berry
Goodness, was I ever afraid of floras when I first started making soap. The quick acceleration was just somethng I could not handle and I am still afraid of them to a certain extent, but I think I have a good handle on them now.

When I read reviews for Bramble Berry's Lilac, I was terrified. Almost everyone said this accelerated very quickly. One user even said that it should not be used in cp soap.....yikes!!! I have 16 ounces of this stuff and all I make it cp soap. What now?

When I made my 3 batches of Lilac soap, I was well prepared. I colored the majority of the soap purple, before I added the fragrance. I also soaped at 80 degrees and I reserved a small portion for the top, which remained unscented. I hesitantly whisked in the Lilac fragrance oil, terrified that it would seize on me, but all was good. I had plenty of time to put it in the mold without the slightest hint of seizing or accelerating. Whew! I then took my unscented portion, added some pink to it and had a lovely pinkish purple color for the top, which I had plenty of time to play with and make pretty!

So, that is my secret with florals. I leave a portion of the soap batter unscented, and then add that to the top so I can beautify the soap. With my floral soaps, I keep things simple. I always soap around 80 degrees  and whisk in the fragrance. With this method, I am always pleased with the results.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the advice. Your soap is beautiful. I have had the joy of acceleration on occasion and this makes great sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your tip! Acceleration is strange. Some fragrances supposed to accelerate, do not, others supposed to be very quiet, do! It is a mystery to me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colour and the advise on acceleration

    ReplyDelete